Flood Zones

Hello everyone, my name is Angela and I
am an account manager here at LandCentral. Today I would like to talk about
Flood Zones. What is a flood zone and can you build in a flood zone? So a flood
zone, flood zones are geographic areas that FEMA or the Federal Emergency
Management Agency has defined according to varying levels of flood
risk these zones are depicted on a community’s flood insurance rate map or
FIRM or a flood hazard boundary map. Each zone reflects the severity of the type
of flooding in the area. How do you know if a property is in a flood zone? Well
you can call the county assessor and ask them or you can go to the FEMA website
and they have an area where you can put in an address to see if your property is
in a flood zone. Now most of our vacant lands don’t have addresses assigned to
them, so what I like to do is finding the property using latitude and longitude on
Google Maps and then I find a nearby house or dwelling and I click on it and
then it’ll bring up an address and you can use that address and then go back to
your map and kind of see where it’s at. So and that is free you can go to that
and I’ll put that link below if you want to play around with that see if your
house isn’t a flood zone or your property. You’ll probably want to know
if you can build in a flood zone. So building in a flood zone can be
accomplished. 41 million Americans live in flood zones.
You’ll want to hear some information. you’ll want to know about building in
flood zones. Insurance. So you’ll need flood insurance and the average flood
insurance policy costs about $700 a year. The price will vary depending on what
you’re hoping to cover, so with flood insurance you can choose to cover just
the building or the contents of the building or both. US law demands all
banks and lenders require flood insurance if the property
they’re lending to is in a flood zone. You can get the flood, how to get that, how to get that insurance waived. So if you can prove your property is
above the 100-year base flood elevation or BFE, then the bank or lender may waive
the required flood insurance. To do this, you’re going to need a document from
FEMA. To opt out of flood insurance you’re going to have to move your
property from the flood zone before you build. So just a note, all new
construction requires both the land and the home to be raised above the
100-year BFE. So the 100-year BFE refers to the elevation associated
with a 1% chance of a flood occurring, meaning a flood hasn’t occurred in that
area or elevation in the last 100 years. The 500 year flood zone means that that
area has a lower risk of flooding. So there are four flood zones. FEMA
conducts flood hazard analysis throughout the United States,
mapping the results for flood insurance purposes. According to FEMA there are
four flood zones. there’s V (as in Victor) Zone. It’s high
risk for flood so these are the most hazardous zones, typically
first row beachfront property – mandatory flood insurance. Then you have your A
Zone, high-risk for flood, properties in this zone have a potential for flooding
as they are typically near water, such as a lake, river, stream or wetland – mandatory
flood insurance. X Zone, minimal risk for flood – insurance not mandatory. And D (as in dog) Zone – risk unknown. These areas have not been studied for flood risk so
it’s a gamble, since flooding is possible flooding
insurance is highly recommended but not mandatory. Building in a flood zone – so
you’ve found your dream property and it just happens to be in a flood zone,
you’re determined to build, right?Bbut you need , you want to do things right.
The first thing you’ll need is a deed or title, you’re going to need the BFE data, a special permit or variance, flood insurance, an architect and a
builder and a FEMA elevation certificate. There are three things that you want to
discuss with your builder before building in a flood zone. One is
Structural Elevation. This is your best bet. Building on stilts or pilings will safeguard your home from rushing
flood water. You may even have the building permit to have the rushing
water flow beneath the structure, keeping you and your belongings safe from the
storm. Fill – with a permit you may be able to raise the area above the BFE with
additional soil. To do thi,s apply for a Letter of Map Revision based on Fill
from FEMA. Once approved, they’ll revise the community flood map and show your
home is no longer in the high-risk flood zone. Or you can Flood Proof. Work with
your builder to build up the home’s foundation to slope downward about one
inch per foot. As you can see, building in a flood zone
isn’t impossible. With the proper precautions and the right team you can
build your dream home throughout the US. So go forth and find that perfect
property for all your building needs! We really hope that you enjoyed this
video and you learned a little bit of information. If you do like it, please
share or subscribe. You can go to our website at www.landcentral.com to look at any of our properties and you can also check our blog for all sorts of wonderful information. We hope you enjoyed this video, Have a wonderful day!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *